Green Policy & Challenge Invitation
A Responsible Boaters Charter
From the day it opened in 1999 Canoe Adventures has been committed to good sustainable environmental practice. We constantly work to improve our profile, convey the 'green message' to our customers and to minimise any adverse effects on the natural environment that is our workplace. It is both privilege and responsibility to work where we do in the way that we do.
- Our aim was and is to make canoeing accessible – it is eco-friendly and fun, inclusive and healthy. Whatever one's age or ability it is an excellent way to become acquainted with the natural environment of watery places. By innovating the use of 12-seater Voyager canoes, each with its steersman-guide, the age range of people who can join is marvellously extended, from babies to those in their 80s.
- Each Canoe Adventures canoe is annually inspected and licensed to operate by the Dart Harbour Authority. Each steersman has the necessary personal competencies to be engaged by the Company and receives ongoing inservice training. Each also holds the appropriate Boatmans Licence annually approved by the Harbour Authority.
- Canoes use no fossil fuel and create no pollution. Since opening for business we calculate some 37,000 individuals have paddled with us. At an average of 6 miles per outing this gives 222,000 pollution free miles over the ground.
- Canoe Adventures innovated and employs the ‘Hotsam’; a small, lightweight flatpacking campfire brazier, often lit using flint and steel (great for kids!) to make no-trace campfires and barbecues, thus demonstrating and encouraging no-trace methods to guest-crew.
- We have a zero-tolerance litter policy and run a volunteer annual litter-picking event on the Dart Estuary. This event originated with the welcome assistance of Devon Wildlife Trust.
- We recycle, re-use or compost all the waste we can, use washable beakers and picnic-boxes, compostable bags and refillable water bottles. All operational batteries are rechargeables. We buy recycled paper products and use eco-cleaners.
- Canoe Adventures’ latest canoes are the 9 metre 12-seater Longbow, designed and built by local craftsmen. We regularly comission handmade Dartmoor ash paddles; locally grown, locally made.
- The silent canoe gets close to wildlife, seals often follow us. The Company canoe steersmen all share their knowledge of estuary wildlife and how to enjoy nature and follow the Country Code without detrimental impact on the environment. We have ‘spotters guides’ and childrens' I-Spy sheets available too. We built a floating moorhen sanctuary nearby our launch point which is used by nesting moorhens each Spring.
- Canoe Adventures serves all Fairtrade tea, coffee and hot chocolate on its outings, and usually local organic milk.
- Canoe Adventures is proud to hold a Green Business award, to spread the 'green message' and to support other green businesses and the many local suppliers and attractions.
Green Tourism Business Scheme a national sustainable tourism certification scheme for the UK
Transition Town Totnes a dynamic community-led charity that is strengthening the local economy, reducing the cost of living and preparing for a future with less oil and a changing climate
Hot Pursuit in Totnes for bicycle hire and informaion on local cycle routes
Freecycle a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns